Data Technology Lead
At Sweaty Betty, we’re more than just a global activewear and lifestyle brand for women.
We’re also a community that believes fitness is a flip-the-switch trigger for becoming the woman you want to be. Leggings and sports bras won’t change the world on their own. But with a grab-my-hand, let’s-go-for-it-now spirit, the women who wear them can.
If you want to join us on the next chapter of our adventure, you’re in the right place. This is an exciting opportunity for a Data Technology Lead to join us on our mission to empower women through fitness and beyond by helping us define and build all elements of our data technology from the availability and quality of our data sets and data pipelines and automation to the Business Insight Reporting we provide to our stakeholders. You will be working with both the data platform and Power BI Reporting Teams and working closely with the wider technology team and various stakeholders across the business such as E-Commerce, Planning, Performance Marketing, Finance & Operations.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about working with all elements of data technology and be comfortable working across multiple data sets, having the expertise to utilise data to drive one truly integrated system, develop coded automation in business insight and forecasting. They will proactively seek to understand the wider business requirements and provide support and advice to analysts and BI developers to help our teams and operations become more agile, scalable and efficient.
This is a high-exposure and critical role, reporting directly to the Technology leadership team
∙ We Really Care ∙ First, Best, Bravest ∙ Our Strength is in Each Other ∙ Stand Up, Speak Up, Shout Out
Your SB Journey:
What You’ll Be Doing
- Provide leadership to the inhouse and 3rd party data engineers and Power BI developers
- Design, develop and maintain scalable, automated, insightful data tables and pipelines which will be the main input for the models, reports and dashboards
- Work with Data Analyst and Power BI developers to use analytical and statistical rigor to solve complex problems and drive business decisions and automation
- Ensure that Reporting Developers and Analysts have access to clean datasets based on their requirements
- Write high integrity code to retrieve, manipulate and analyse data from source, learn and understand the metrics and their operational inter-actions
- Be a subject matter expert on source data systems and their transport to analytics layers as well as options to give stakeholders access to the data through reporting, direct access or system integration
- Set up mechanisms to proactively measure quality of outputs and accuracy of data pipelines and datasets used for reporting and analysis
- Lead in the diagnosis and resolution of complex operational data issues and provide technical support
- Support architecture in leading the development of a new data platform and defining its integration into the wider architecture.
- Lead the development of Sweaty Betty best practice in Data Engineering, and identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Support of wider Data Team with intermediate/complex SQL queries and contribute to the automation capabilities of the team
- Experience in leading data engineering teams
- Experience of
- Modern data platform technology stack e.g FiveTran, dbt, Snowflake or similar technologies
- Typical Data Engineering constructs, e.g. Data Warehousing, Data Lakes, ETL, APIs.
- Power BI, and additional experience with other visualisation tools
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or related field or an exceptional self-taught candidate.
- Working with integrations with ERP Platforms, namely Business Central/Dynamics desirable
- Advanced SQL skills with proficiency in JSON a benefit. Strong proven experience and credibility working with big data and cloud technologies and third party ETL tools ingesting data from disparate sources (e.g. digital analytics/social media/customer engagement platforms).
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including ROI prioritisation, objectives/roadmap setting, agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing and operations
- Knowledge of DataOps desirable
- Background in supporting data analysts in conducting large scale data analysis and modelling to support business decision making
- Self-driven, with a proven ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete data
- Highly collaborative and where relevant, adopt a coaching approach with team
- An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Generous clothing allowance
- 60% off all Sweaty Betty merchandise
- 25 days holiday, plus 8 flexible bank holidays
- Sample sales
- 10 days work from anywhere policy
- Company bonus scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Health Cash Plan benefit with Medicash available to all Sweaty Betty UK Employees (Following successfully passing probation)
- Enhanced Family Leave policy
- Discounts at the best Studio Classes
- SB Flexible Working: we currently work flexibly between the office and home
Our D&I Commitment
Our mission is to empower all women. This means doing more and working harder to make the long-lasting changes necessary to become an inclusive, diverse and actively anti-racist company. We care about our people, our community, our world. And we want to stand up for what we believe in.
We want to give our people a platform to use their voice. And actively listen and learn from what they have to say. This involves focusing on learning, development and progression across the business. Training our leaders, managers and teams about their rights under our equality, diversity and inclusion policy. And being clear on the responsibilities we hold to each other and our community. It also means being committed to equal employment opportunities. Ensuring we consider ALL applicants for jobs. And work harder to make our job advertising more inclusive.
Ultimately, we’re working to create a culture and team that represents our customers, our community and our mission of empowerment. We want to celebrate our diversity and the power it gives our team and our business.
We know we’re on a journey. And far from perfect. But we want to be a part of the solution to the problem. It might not be comfortable or straightforward. But if we weren’t up for doing the hard work and breaking the mould, we wouldn’t be Sweaty Betty. We are committed to working across our business and with our Internal Diversity & Inclusion Collective to be champions, allies and inclusive, always. Because when we say All, we mean it.